While you’re here, make sure you check out what we do here at MAKESafe Tools! We make an easy-to-install product that provides the OSHA-required protections you need for workplace tools and machinery!
This presentation focuses on common manufacturing machinery like band saws, mills, lathes, and grinding equipment. It starts with a brief overview of a risk assessment (using UL’s template as a reference) then spends the bulk of the presentation looking at issues that are often overlooked during job-hazard assessments and when specifying hazard mitigations. This includes:
- A review of federal injury (IIF) data and identification of the when injuries occur, how they occur, and on what equipment.
- An interpretation of that data (drawn from reviewing hundreds of OSHA incident reports).
- A review of known and preventable hazards that contribute to these injuries (hazardous energy, accidental restart, coasting, and emergency situations).
- A look at OSHA and ANSI standards and what they explicitly and implicitly require to mitigate these hazards.
- A review of common means of mitigating these hazards.
- Some cautionary tales about misleadingly marketed products available on the market, and guidance for how to properly specify mitigations, including:
- NRTL Listings – what they are and how to check for them
- Electrical specifications – why current/voltage isn’t enough to properly specify controls.