While you’re here, make sure you check out what we do here at MAKESafe Tools! We make an easy-to-install product that provides the OSHA-required protections you need for workplace tools and machinery!
Downloadable materials for this webinar are available on the bottom of this page. Live versions of this webinar are available by request or can be scheduled online.
This presentation focuses on common manufacturing machinery like band saws, mills, lathes, and grinding equipment. It starts with a brief overview of a risk assessment (using UL’s template as a reference) then spends the bulk of the presentation looking at issues that are often overlooked during job-hazard assessments and when specifying hazard mitigations. This includes:
- A review of federal injury (IIF) data and identification of the when injuries occur, how they occur, and on what equipment.
- An interpretation of that data (drawn from reviewing hundreds of OSHA incident reports).
- A review of known and preventable hazards that contribute to these injuries (hazardous energy, accidental restart, coasting, and emergency situations).
- A look at OSHA and ANSI standards and what they explicitly and implicitly require to mitigate these hazards.
- A review of common means of mitigating these hazards.
- Some cautionary tales about misleadingly marketed products available on the market, and guidance for how to properly specify mitigations, including:
- NRTL Listings – what they are and how to check for them
- Electrical specifications – why current/voltage isn’t enough to properly specify controls.